According to reports, the historic Town Hall Tower was established approximately at the beginning of the fourteenth century and it was constantly expanded during the Middle Ages. Town Hall Tower was a part of Cracow City Hall which was demolished at the begining of the XIX century.
In 1524 Town Hall Tower was equipped with a clock of Nuremberg production. A the end of the seventeenth century, the tower was struck by lightning, which caused the fire, which burned the bell and half of the tower. In the three years since that, the tower was reconstructed. The new version of the tower has been designed in an impressive manner, but this time without a clock. In this form Town Hall Tower preserved until 1783, to be rebuilt again.
Less than 40 years later it was decided to demolish the building of City Hall, which adjoined to the tower which remained abandoned and unused for almost a hundred years. The last renovation of the tower took place relatively recently, because in the first half of the 60s of the twentieth century.
Currently, the tower is opened to the public. Its gothic interior is considered one of the most beautiful places in Cracow. Its highest tier allows access to an amazing view of the city panorma, among others St. Mary’s Basilica, Cloth Hall and St. Adalbert Church.